Courageous Persuaders program delivers youth-to-youth message about dangers of underage drinking and is seeking video competition participants to submit their videos by February 12, 2015.
TROY, MI, January 28, 2015 – The Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA) Education Foundation reminds students that the deadline for entry into the Courageous Persuaders video competition is almost here. The deadline for entry is February 12, 2015. DADA President Sam Slaughter made the announcement.
Courageous Persuaders is a competition-based scholarship program that invites high school students to create a 30-second commercial about the dangers of underage drinking. The commercials are targeted toward middle school-aged children, with the winning entries aired on television and via streaming video on www.CourageousPersuaders.com. The Michigan Department of State also shows the winning commercials in select Secretary of State (SOS) branch offices. The winners will be announced at a gala Awards Celebration to be held in May.
“As auto dealers, members of DADA are also very involved in their local communities,” said Slaughter. “With Courageous Persuaders, we, along with many organizations who join us by contributing toward the scholarship awards, have the opportunity to take an active role in educating our young people about the dangers of underage drinking and potentially save lives, and we’re more than glad to be a part of it.”
The Courageous Persuaders program was created in 2000 by the late Oakland County District Judge Michael A. Martone and John Barczyk, a retired local McCann-Erickson advertising executive. In 2007, the DADA Education Foundation became the primary sponsor and administrator of the Courageous Persuaders. Last year, the contest drew 489 entries from 727 participating students from throughout the U.S., Canada, and Armed Forces Puerto Rico.
Courageous Persuaders Scholarships Awards
Winning entries are eligible for the following scholarship awards:
- Grand Prize: $3,000
- First Place: $1,500
- Second Place: $1,000
- Third Place: $500
Courageous Persuaders Partner Awards
Additionally, Courageous Persuaders partners present:
- State Farm Fan Favorite Award: $3,500. Determined through independent votes of videos posted on a dedicated YouTube channel, a $2,500 cash prize will be presented to the classroom of the school that produced the video that garners the most votes, and a $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to the student.
- Lindsey Renee Cianciolo Family Memorial Scholarship: $3,000. Two $1,500 Michigan-based scholarships are donated by Lindsey’s father, Michael, and her sisters, Allie and Mary Cianciolo. Lindsey died on January 5, 2005 at the age of 20 in a motor vehicle accident which was largely caused by underage drinking.
- Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA) Award: $2,000. DADA, the primary sponsor and administrator of the Courageous Persuaders program through its DADA Education Foundation, since 2007, will also provide a $2,000 scholarship.
- Adcraft Club of Detroit Award: $2,000. The Adcraft Club award is presented to the student(s) whose commercial best conveys factual information about the dangers of alcohol use.
- Michelin Award: $2,000. The Michelin Award is presented to the student whose video commercial best illustrates the dangers of underage drinking and its effects on driving.
- AutoTrader.com Award: $2,000. AutoTrader.com is proud to support Courageous Persuaders and its focus on educating and informing today’s youth on the dangers of underage drinking and driving with a $2,000 scholarship.
- Dangers of Texting While Driving Award: $1,000. The DADA has expanded the Courageous Persuaders message to also include a new $1,000 Dangers of Texting While Driving Award.
- State Farm Insurance: $1,000. Awarded to an entry that shows the dangers of underage drinking and automotive usage, State Farm will select the winning commercial based on persuasiveness and creativity.
- College for Creative Studies (CCS) Award: $250. The CCS award is chosen based on the cognition, creativity, and craftsmanship of the commercial.
- Wall Street Journal (WSJ) Courageous Leader Award. The WSJ Courageous Leader Award is presented to a teacher for his or her extraordinary support of the Courageous Persuaders program.
To view last year’s winning commercials and/or enter the 2015 competition, visit the Web site at www.CourageousPersuaders.com, or contact Sandy Herp at tel: (248) 283-5138 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the DADA Education Foundation
The mission of the DADA Education Foundation is to promote excellence in education through quality programs and leadership. In addition to the Courageous Persuaders program, the Foundation also administers Automotive Education Day at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), and the NAIAS Poster Contest.
About Detroit Auto Dealers Association (DADA)
The DADA was founded in 1907 by 17 local car dealers, and has grown to more than 220 member car and truck dealers who donate their time and resources to a host of community activities. Currently, the DADA members collectively employ more than 16,500 people. Many members participate in the NAIAS, LLC, which is responsible for the production of the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). To find out more about Detroit Auto Dealers Association, visit dada.org. To find out more about the NAIAS, visit www.naias.com.
About SmartFinds Internet Marketing
SmartFinds Internet Marketing is proud sponsor of Courageous Persuaders helping with Internet marketing. SmartFinds is a 2009 Michigan 50 Companies To Watch awardee. The critical element of SmartFinds Internet Marketing solutions and services is the creativity and imagination to apply the technological aspects of the digital marketplace to the marketing objectives of a particular business. You can visit SmartFinds Internet Marketing at www.smartfindsmarketing.com.