Home care providers are encouraged to get together and share ideas, practices, and motivational stories and quotes to keep each other moving forward during tough times. Caring for an aging or sick relative can be time consuming and stressful, but staying positive and counting your many blessings will help you along the way. Here are a few tips to keep the faith as a home care provider:
– Get Educated. Often times we worry about every little change in our loved one’s health or appearance. While it’s always good to get these things checked out, educating yourself so you know what to expect as a home care provider will help manage the stress.
– Put Yourself First. At the end of the day, if you are unhealthy it will not do anyone any good. It is so important for you to take some time out of each and every day to refresh. Step away, even if it is for a few minutes, to do something just for you. If you are feeling constantly overwhelmed, consider hiring a home care agency to provide respite care so you can focus on your own health too.
– Schedule Fun. Schedule entertaining activities a couple times a week for you and your loved one. If your relative is mobile, go to a park or shopping or to the movies. If your older parent or loved one likes to stay home, rent old movies, play board games or try a new recipe together.
– Get Help. Don’t feel like you are all alone. Millions of Americans are in your exact same shoes, and even if you don’t have family or friends who can help out with your home care duties, there are plenty of support groups and resources available to you. Again, consider hiring a professional home health agency a few times a week to give yourself a break.
– Breathe and Reflect. When the stress or emotional turmoil gets to be too much, take a breather. Listen to your favorite song, read a book, take a yoga class or merely zone out and meditate wherever you can find some alone time. Remember all of the good times you had with your loved one and how lucky you are to still have them in your life. Take advantage of these precious last moments.
We understand that caregiving is a big responsibility and want to support family caregivers in any way we can. To learn more about home care services available for families, contact your local ComForcare home care office. Whether you are looking for part-time elderly care services, respite services, or full-time Alzheimer’s care, ComForcare home care providers are ready and willing to help.
ComForcare Home Care Services
ComForcare is a premier provider of private-duty home care services to people of all ages with offices conveniently located nationwide. We can help make life easier for those coping with a chronic medical condition, recovering from an illness or injury, or dealing with the challenges of aging – in the comfort of their own homes. We offer elderly care services including personal care, homemaking, transportation, companionship and family respite services to improve the quality of life and level of independence for every individual and family receiving our services. Each ComForcare office is independently owned and operated.
ComForcare Home Care
2510 Telegraph Road, Suite 100
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302